Monday, May 5, 2014

My thoughts on "The Amazing Spiderman 2" -spoilers-

Gwen Stacey died. My head keeps revolving to that. I knew it would happen but I didn't think it would happen on this movie. I thought it would be on the third one. But, she dies. It's one of those feelings of loss that makes me feel so much for this movie. 

After Harry fights Peter, Gwen falls in the clock tower. Peter tries to save her slinging his web to prevent her fall to her death. Just as his web gets to her its too late. She hits her head on the ground while her body floats in the air with the web. Peter not noticing this until he goes down to the floor level sees that she's not waking up.

I usually hate endings like this but it continues with peter coming back to Gwen's tombstone for 5 months, New York reporting that it misses spiderman, And Peter being utterly depressed... Until, he watches her graduation speech as a valedictorian in her class.  

Hope is the main message of this film. Hope is what Gwen talked about in her speech. And hope is what got him out of mourning and to become Spiderman again. He represents hope in bleak circumstances that there's no way out. Which I would say New York represents the tough circumstances we have to swing by. We can't stop having hope or else we get consumed by our dark situations. Never believing that we can get out. There's never not a way out. We just need to keep hope alive and believe.

0 comments: